Boats Against the Current


By: Tori Morris

Series: DS9

Skip Timeline and Proceed to Chapter One


Quote: "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter-tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther....and one fine morning----

And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby.

Timeline of Important Events:

2309-Cardassia officially offers help to Bajor.


2328- The Bajoran Homeworld, previously militarily dominated by the Cardassians, is officially annexed as a colony world.


2337-Odo's pod is found by Mora Pol.


2343-Kira Nerys is born in the Décor Provence of Bajor


2344-Odo takes humanoid form for the first time.


2355- Kira Nerys at age 12 begins fighting Cardassians.


2365 - Aboard the orbital Cardassian mining station, Odo meets Gul Dukat who assigns him to to investigate the murder of Vatric, a Bajoran.

Odo meets Kira Nerys, one of the Bajoran underground assigned to sabotage the station, and Quark.


2369- The Cardassians leave the Bajoran system. Jake Sisko and his father move to DS9, where his father, Commander Benjamin Sisko, is put into command of DS9, the old Terok Nor mining station. Finding a stable wormhole, Commander Sisko is hailed by the Bajorans as the Emissary.


2371-Odo finds his home world, accompanied by Major Kira. He discovers his people are the Founders, and disgusted, returns to DS9.


2372- On a trip to Earth, Odo is infected by the covert Starfleet group, Section 31. Section 31 hopes that Odo will carry the disease all the way to his people, and that the Founders will be eliminated.


2374- Kira Nerys and Odo begin romantic relationship. Meanwhile, Jake Sisko finishes his first novel, a non-fiction about his experiences during the Dominion Occupation. It is distributed freely by the Federation News Services as an adjunct to their arts and literature section.


2375- End of the Dominion War. Odo returns to his people. Sisko ascends to the Celestial Temple. Jake spends months on Earth with his grandfather, before returning to DS9 as the system correspondent for the Federation News Service. Kira becomes station commander.


2385- 10 year anniversary of the war. Jake Sisko is one of many survivors invited to Earth to relive the memories, and to celebrate the so-far lasting peace.


2386- Bajor finally joins the Federation, thanks to a vision given to the new Kai from the Emissary. Col. Kira is inducted into Starfleet and given the rank of Commander.


2393-
Kira Nerys becomes a permanent resident of Earth after an accident on the Station leaves her crippled. She's given the title Ambassador to Bajor, and with the Bajoran Federation Senator, Li Telna, represents Bajor for the Federation. Although she's not exactly happy about it, she grows to enjoy being close to the extended family of officers from DS9 now living on Earth.


2395- The 20th anniversary of the end of the Dominion War. Major celebrations are planned across the Alpha Quadrant when a representative for the Dominion crosses into the Wormhole for the first time and informs the Alpha Quadrant powers that a permanent peace will be negotiated to replace the truce that has held so far.


(Timeline based on my own hypothesis, and several fansite timelines.)

To Chapter One...